Saturday, April 16, 2016

Book Review- How It Feels to Fly

I finished reading How It Feels to Fly by Kathryn Holmes the other night for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

The movement is all that matters.

For as long as Samantha can remember, she’s wanted to be a professional ballerina. She’s lived for perfect pirouettes, sky-high extensions, and soaring leaps across the stage. Then her body betrayed her.

The change was gradual. Stealthy.

Failed diets. Disapproving looks. Whispers behind her back. The result: crippling anxiety about her appearance, which threatens to crush her dancing dreams entirely. On her dance teacher’s recommendation, Sam is sent to a summer treatment camp for teen artists and athletes who are struggling with mental and emotional obstacles. If she can make progress, she’ll be allowed to attend a crucial ballet intensive. But when asked to open up about her deepest insecurities, secret behaviors, and paralyzing fears to complete strangers, Sam can’t cope.

What I really need is a whole new body.

Sam forms an unlikely bond with Andrew, a former college football player who’s one of her camp counselors. As they grow closer, Andrew helps Sam see herself as he does—beautiful. But just as she starts to believe that there’s more between them than friendship, disappointing news from home sends her into a tailspin. With
her future uncertain and her body against her, will Sam give in to the anxiety that imprisons her?


I needed something light after the last book I read.  And while the topic of this book is not light in any way, shape, or form, I easily got absorbed in the story.

I love dance.  While I'm not a dancer, I've always been fascinated athletes, actors, and dancers. So reading about this summer camp for gifted teens in those worlds with issues was something I was definitely interested in.

I really liked Sam.  And I felt so bad for her.  She was struggling through so much and then what happens at camp.  I had a feeling it would happen but I was hoping it wouldn't.

I liked reading how the campers grew and changed and became closer.  And I liked the positive talk that came from the book.  I think it would be a great book for teens to read.

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

How It Feels to Fly will be released on June 14, 2016.

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment