Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book Review- Ralph's Party

I just finished reading Ralph's Party by Lisa Jewell.

From Goodreads:

Meet the residents of the London brownstone on 31 Almanac Road who together weave a tangled
web of romance. Ralph, a ne'er-do-well artist, suddenly realizes he's head over heels in love with his new flatmate Jem, the most fun and sensible girl he's ever encountered. Unfortunately, Ralph's best friend, Smith, has already won Jem's affections, although Smith has not entirely given up his passion for the femme fatale, Cheri, who lives upstairs. Across the hall, Karl and Siobhan have been happily unmarried for years, until Karl gets a smashing job as a London rush-hour DJ and momentarily gets tempted into Cheri's cozy lair. These six star-crossed tenants become more enamored, and more confused, as the story progresses-until their true destinies are revealed on one crucial night-the evening of the extravaganza that is . . . Ralph's party. This wonderfully hip new novel was an instant popular success when it was first published in England, and American readers are sure to be captivated by the debut of a talented new writer.

I was expecting this to be a cute British chick-lit story.  Instead there were times that I was grossed out and felt that there was over-sharing involved. 

I just couldn't really get into the story.  I didn't care much about the characters or what was happening.  At first, I got confused about which was with which character but at the end you could see the connection of all of them.

I have a couple of other books by this author on my bookshelves.  Hopefully I'll like them better.

I gave this book a rating of 2/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 41
What's in a Name? 6 Challenge: Party or Celebration
2013 Embarrassment of Riches TBR Reading Challenge: 5
2013 Quick Fix Challenge: 19

*FTC Disclosure: I bought this book

No comments:

Post a Comment