Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book Review- Between

I just finished reading Between by Jessica Warman for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Elizabeth Valchar--pretty, popular, and rich--wakes up the morning after her eighteenth birthday on the yacht where she'd been celebrating with her closest friends. A persistent thumping noise has roused her. When she goes to investigate, she finds her own drowned body is hitting the side of the boat. Liz is dead.

She has no memory of what happened to her, and can only observe in horror the fallout of her death. She's also soon joined by Alex Berg, a quiet boy from her high school who was killed by a hit-and-run driver. The two keep each other company, floating in and out of memories and trying to piece together the details of what happened to each of them.

In her regular life, Liz was a runner. It wasn't abnormal for her to run 8-10 miles per day. But as memories from closer to her death begin to surface, Liz finds that she'd been running much more than normal, and that she'd all but stopped eating. Liz's mother, who died when Liz was nine, had battled with anorexia as well, and those around her worried Liz was following in her mother's footsteps. But something more sinister was consuming Liz from the inside out. . . .

From critically acclaimed author Jessica Warman comes a shocking mystery, a heartbreaking character study, and ultimately a hopeful tale of redemption, love, and letting go.

Between was such an intriguing story.  I wanted to find out what happened to Liz--who killed her and why.  I had a guess at who it was right from the beginning, and I was right in my guess and I was right as to why the murderer did it.  But all of the other details of Liz's life leading up to her death had me shocked.

Liz is a girl we all love to hate.  She was popular and beautiful.  And she was mean.  She was spoiled and acted like it.  So while I hated her character, I didn't hate that I hated her if that makes sense.  It was a good kind of hate--she didn't get on my nerves.  And Richie.  If it wasn't for the drug aspect, he would definitely be my kind of guy.  I loved their love story.  A couple since they were toddlers--too cute!  And so genuine.  Whenever Liz talked about Richie, you could just imagine the love she had for him.

This book definitely kept my interest.  I hated having to put the book down because I wanted to find out just what happened!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

Between will be released on August 2, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 57
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 47
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 44

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. Liz sounds a little like like Bridget from Here Lies Bridget, although I think Bridget did get on my nerves at first - only to redeem herself by the end...

    I have not heard of BETWEEN - and it sounds rather interesting! I may have to check it out!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete