Thursday, July 22, 2010

Book Review- Firelight

I just finished reading Firelight by Sophie Jordan for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

The idea of dragons/draki is one that I have only read a couple of books on.  And I find myself fascinated by it. 

This book a was a quick read.  I was easily engrossed in it.  Jacinda and Will were very likeable.  I loved Jacinda's spunk and her wanting to stay true to herself.  And I loved Will's mysterious side and how he loved Jacinda for what she was.  Xander and Angus, Will's cousins, were just creepy guys, and Cassian, draki who Jacinda is supposed to mary and mate with, would end up in the creepy category too.

The only thing that bothered me was that Jacinda said over and over the she promised, she vowed to herself to stay away from Will.  And she never did.  Yes, I know that's an important part of the story, but it the promising just got old to read.  I don't know if it was the way it was worded or what, but everytime I read her promise, again, I just rolled my eyes.

The ending definitely leaves you on a cliffhanger and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

Firelight will be released on September 7, 2010.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 97
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 73
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 31
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 71

 *FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! This books sounds so great...I can't wait to read it! September cannot come fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, plus I love spunky characters. Ah, cliffhangers...those are evil, lol. Nice, honest review :)

    ReplyDelete