Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book Review- Need

I just finished reading Need by Carrie Jones.

From the inside cover:

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her.  She's also obsessed with phobias.  And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died.  But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother?  That seems a bit extreme.  The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong.  Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination.  In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust.  There's something not right--not human-- in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.

Right off the bat, I was engrossed in the book--just from the title of the first chapter.  You see, each chapter title is the name and definition of a phobia.  Maybe its just because I like trivia, but it had me hooked.  And it just got better from there.

Yes, Need reminds me of Twilight.  And maybe thats why I liked it so much.  But Zara (love the name, by the way) is such a strong female character, without being TOO strong.  She still had a soft, romantic, girly side to her.  And I really liked her and connected with her.  And Nick--he rivals Edward any day!  (although maybe I should say he rivals Jacob).  He's hot and protective and tender all at the same time--what more could a girl want!

I found that there were a lot of twists and turns in the story--some of which I saw coming and some of which I didn't.  I found that the words flowed so nicely in the story.  They painted the picture effortlessly and I was easing picturing the scenes in my mind.  And they were enthralling.  I read the book in less than a day and I'm so glad I have the sequel, Captivate to read next!

I gave this book a rating of 4.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Reading Challenge: J
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 2
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 2
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: Up to You! - Paranormal Books #1

*FTC Disclosure: This book was given to me for free by Anna at Bloomsbury USA for a honest review.

6 comments:

  1. God, I just HAVE to read this series, don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both this and Captivate are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently reading it and loving it :) Glad you enjoyed it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I am really intrigued by this series after reading your two reviews. The covers really draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to give this one a try as well...I'm kind of Twilighted and all same type of books out right now, but I'll be back in the mood again soon! Great review. Good luck on your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I'm going to be reading this book next and it's been a while since I read a really good one. I hope that this book is that book.

    ReplyDelete